Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rifle Competition Area

So, MBtGE got word that a neighbor he is friendly with has some land out in the boonies. He immediately thought "remote hunting property and target shooting location."

So we went to check it out. Last weekend.

Other than being an hour and a half away, south of Luray Virginia (home of Luray Caverns, with the worlds ONLY stalactite organ.) it's pretty nice. Totally unimproved, with NO nearby traffic or traffic noise.

It's in a bowl up a valley, so shooting is not a problem there. The sheer mountain faces make good bullet stops. And the clearing that is the former cow field has a nice lane at least 300 yards long.

We found a fresh deer stand. Someone had to trespass to build it. The owner doesn't mind as long as they don't tear up the place. He hasn't posted the land. MBtGE and me have full written permission to hunt all we want.

More importantly, I have a place I might be able to set up to actually compete in the blogger e-postal shooting match. Which is good, because SOMEONE has to come in last and I will help the second to last place person feel better about themselves.The land is for sale, and is tempting, but I don't know if we can swing the ducats. And we'd perhaps prefer something a bit closer to West Virginia.

But I better hurry for the shooting competition. The first round ends on September 30th. I did get the 100 yard targets for that. Should have gotten the 50 when I got the 100 yard ones…

We did do some shooting. And I was extra bad. The only thing I shot halfway decently was my 1911 (huh!) MBtGE's XD 9mm, and my pump action .22 worked the best. The .22 was extra nice, hitting everything I looked at. The other pistols I missed with were hitting high or low and missing the paper, but I couldn't tell which.

I don't prefer that XD trigger, but I do shoot pretty good with it. Odd. Not liking the trigger, but using it well.

I did try the .40 Beretta DA only. I shot it better than I remember, but not as good as that SIG 229. Also up was a 1911 Commander size (horrible shot with it.)

No comments: