Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Field Trip to Fulton

Went to Fulton Armory. They are open from 1-4 on Fridays for walk-ins. I had some questions...

I wanted to FEEL what that Troy rifle stock felt like. The flip-up sights are sweet, and in person they are even sweeter. Clint said "like a piece of jewelry" and he is right. But, while the stock is better balanced than the front-heavy SOCOM 16 from Springfield, it is still HEAVY. Shouldering that one, then shouldering a regular walnut stocked M14 is really noticeable. You feel like you can carry the wooden stocked rifle all day, but after walking half a mile with the heavy metal stock, you'd want to take a break.

Troy:









Versus SOCOM:




Both are heavy up front.

There is another idea, and Corky sent me a link to another after market stock option. It has a bit of composite involved, so hopefully it is lighter. But it's not bringing anything, feature wise, to the party, for better optics mounting. Which is my whole point. Sure you can put a foregrip on that stock, but with 4 drywall screws, but you can do that with a walnut stock. See?:









It has some other things going for it that are nice, too, I guess, but... meh.

I still not convinced I need an aftermarket stoc, of any kind. The more I investigate the more purposely leavind the gun in original configuration appeals. And not just because of cost. WWTD? Not sure. I know she like milsurp left in original. I know she likes red dot optics. Maybe just a red dot mounted on a mid range rail add-on is the way Tam would guide me. Eventually. I KNOW Tam would recommend I shoot the heck out of it my own self to see how it felt before making changes. It's not like it is broken, out of the box.

WWMBtGED? Or: What would my buddy the gun enthusiast do? He likes cheap after-market stuff. He has 3 Mini-14s tricked out. But he also thought the SOCOM too front heavy. I dunno.

One thing I forgot to ask the Fulton people... Can you use the iron sights with just the various scope rails in place? If your optics break can you just toss the optics and rings in your pack, but leave the rail, and still shoot?

1 comment:

JB Miller said...

Heavy rigs are heavy.

Start with a rifle in .308, add a 20 round mag, a scope, a stock, a bipod, shoulder strap...

Time for some push-ups!