Friday, August 21, 2009

Double Deuce

Here’s a question, range trip related…

How come I shoot .22 pistols so much better than full power rounds? Not just comparing the P22 to the Sig 229, but with the Springfield with the .22 conversion, and the same frame with the .45 loaded. It just seems so much easier to keep the .22 near the bull than the .40 or .45. Not perfect, mind you, of course.

Theory:

Sub-conscious flinch. I know the big .45 is coming and flinch, I know the little .22 is coming and don’t. Or I’m more relaxed with the .22.

Remedy:

Rig some way of getting a partner to hand me a gun with one round in the magazine and I can’t tell what it is by looking at it. This would require a .22 conversion kit that completely matched my regular slide so I couldn’t tell by the sights. Probably require 2 separate guns, too.

What else could I try? Bring a .44 magnum, maybe, and shoot 50 through that before switch to practice with the .45…

I don't even know if flinching is the issue.

I've done all the drills. Especially with the revolver with empty cylinders. It still doesn't eliminate it.

6 comments:

West, By God said...

I've found a good flinch cure is having Robb Allen shooting his "sound and fury" .357 loads in the lane next to you while you try to concentrate on your target. If you squeeze of a round right after he does, you've already gotten the flinch out of your system.

Bgg said...

I find when I shoot a boomer - the first couple flinch...then I settle in and shoot well....then I get tired and technique begins to break down (usually if I go to 100 rounds). Once the technique goes it's all over.

Maybe try plugs inside your muffs, and then consciously look to be "surprised" at the recoil and the trigger break?

Someone once suggested TIGHTENING the trigger just a hair so the break changes a wee bit, and this will keep you guessing when the recoil will come.

YMMV

Anonymous said...

You can help identify and cure a flinch by having a friend load your magazines and randomly put in a snap cap or dummy round.

When you expect the bang and get a click, you'll immediately know whether you flinched or not and, with practice, can work out your flinching problems using this technique.

Mongo said...

What Sailorcurt said. I have done exactly that, and video'ed myself doing it. The images were quite clear, and very instructive.

A revolver is easy. Leave a few chambers empty and give it a spin before closing up. With a semi-auto, load a few function test dummies or snap caps in with the live rounds. You can do it yourself or have a friend do it.

I strongly suggest setting up some kind of digital video camera on a tripod, or have a friend video you from the side view. Watching yourself do it is the best way to cure it, I think.

Take a look here:
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2008/01/working-on-shooting-skills.html

JB Miller said...

Shoot a .44mag a lot.

300 rounds will cure you. Your .40 will feel like a .22.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing too. When I recently got a new 1911, i found i could hardly keep it on a paper plate, while my .22 groups have always been half that of my 9mm. I found that the patented Todd Jarrett Kung Fu grip helped, alot. Recently, I've been finding that I can, when I do my part, get my 1911 groups as tight as my .22. I'm still working on the consistency part of the equation.

While I really haven't spent much time with them, I think that laser sights (Crimson Trace, etc) can also demonstrate flinching pretty effectively-- especially to others watching. But, I haven't really trained with this methods, I've only put a couple rounds thru a gun with laser sights.

-Michael