Sunday, August 30, 2009

Offical NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly

... Pistols and Revolvers.



I bought this book at the NRA museum, last week.

Meh. It's a good book to have. A useful reference. A few dozen different pistol types, most of which I will never lay eyes on. I can see it being very valuable for people starting to accumulate 100 firearms. And useful if I someone just foists a pistol on me that is different than anything I now own. Say, like, my brother finding a Walther PP up in Pennsylvania and having no idea how to field strip it... I can help him out, thanks to this book. And... I'd never turn down a Browning Hi Power, but I don't know how to dissassemble it for inspection.

Normally, I'm not too proud to ask my gun dealer to show me. That's how I know how to take apart the Colt 1903/8 Pocket Hammerless. I know how to field strip a 1911 thanks to the internet.

Each pistol is given a page or 3 to show an exploded drawing and some concise steps to dissassemble it.

I need to read it more closely to extract all the minutiae. Might be a few nuggets in there to help me figure out how things work.

And it would not be remiss to add the rifle version of this book to the library. I can work a Garand down for cleaning, but a Schmidt Rubin would be fun to have. I have NO idea how to break it down. More importantly, I have no idea how to put it back together once apart.

No comments: