Sunday, August 23, 2009

S&W

Something I figured out recently that I should have figured out long before.

The way Smith and Wesson's numbering system generally works. Generaaly.

I have a 686-3. Does that mean their were almost 700 models of revolver before that? Not really.

That first 6 means it is made out of steel (stainless genrally.) A 2 digit number is the classic model number and made of regular old steel. Like blued Model 10's or 36's.

A three digit model number that begins with a 3 is made out of scandium alloy. A 4 at the beginning is aluminum.

So when I am looking for a 617, I want the clasic .22 firing model 17 but made with stainless steel.

So what is a 642? It's a small matte silver snubbie, but isn't stainless steel. There is a model 42 that is matte black in color, also made of aluminum. So I don't have the numbering system figured out entirely.

Oh and the '-3' after 686 on mine? I think that is an improvement over and earlier generation. There was a recall on -1s and no dash 686's. Or that is the theory.

Neat site though, FirearmsID.com. Check it out.

3 comments:

Bob said...

The 642 does have stainless barrel and cylinder, even though the frame is aluminum, thus the "6" designator for a stainless gun applies.

NMM1AFan said...

Go to the library and see if they have the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.

It will answer all your questions!

Regards,

Keith said...

That sums up everything I know, except that N-frames are 20-29, except for the 544, a 5 inch blue steel .44-40, and the 10mm's and .41 magnums.