Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Safety Follow Up

Of a theme with that previous post. (Read the linked article...)


I don't like mechanical safeties on handguns. The most important and only reliable 'safety' is the one between your ears. But they have their place, especially with single action pistols with hair triggers. But.


One thing I only rarely consider with regard to safeties... They aren't there to prevent a negligent discharge. They can prevent someone that disarms you from smoothly using your gun against you. If the bad guy is unfamiliar with that model. YOU presumably are very familiar with your pistol so it shouldn't be a handicap for you.


This slight delay by a bad guy can be lifesaving in the event he takes your weapon and tries to use it against you. A circumstance especially relevent to police and Open Carriers.


This line of thinking also give a point to the magazine disconnect safety. Say you manage to eject the magazine while wrestling for control of the gun... It can't be used against you! (I know. A rare event. But there isn't much nice to say about magazine disconnect safeties. THAT is one thing that can be said for it.)

It's not like I am going to be wrestling for control of a handgun anytime soon, admittedly. But you never know. I am scrood, however, as my pistols do not have mag-disconnect safeties.



[As an aside... Good advice.]






5 comments:

Bgg said...

Good thoughts. Nice post...

Upon glancing the title I figured it was an update on your injury - hope you're mending well!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

The stitches all fell out at the gun show. That's the 3rd good scar on that thumb...

Bgg said...

Bet that Venison tastes NICE!

Old NFO said...

have disconnected ALL my mag safetys... Re gun safetys, I grew up with 1911s so it is natural for me to hit that safety as I draw and hit it again prior to holstering after shooting... It's purely a muscle memory at this point. I even brush the side of my Glock, even though it doesn't have one!

Mike W. said...

I figure there's a higher risk of those "safety features" failing when I need the gun to work (murphy's law)

Higher than any benefit with regards to a potential gun grab by a bad guy.

I only have a manual safety and mag disconnect on one pistol and it's a .22