Thursday, September 8, 2011

Holster Shmutz

I'm glad someone else notices this.  Tam says about her new holster, "the 'smooth-side in' construction allows a clean release with no suede boogers clinging to your heater."

Yeah, I have been bugged by that and didn't know it was a thing for anyone else.  I have a coupla few holsters that do that.  Mostly on leaving shmutz on the edges of the front sight.  And it's annoying.  Distracting, even, when aiming.  Even noticed it on the nice-ish looking Galco paddle retention holster I use for 1911s there at blogger shoot.   

My Milt Sparks doesn't do that.  Smooth side in and out.  And they aren't the only ones doing that, so there is a plethora of choices.  And Kydex stuff, of course, won't give you that.

Another detail to be aware when accessory shopping.

2 comments:

abnormalist said...

My Crossbreed supertuck is a similar thing. Kydex on one side, smooth leather on the other. They put the suede against you to help keep the holster in place during the draw.

A Don Hume that I have have though has the rough leather inside and yeah, is always leaving crap on the front sight.

Rev. Paul said...

My supertuck is clean too, as abnormalist notes above. My Bianchi OWB has the rough side inside, but was pretty well smoothed by whatever method, so I haven't really had a problem with cow debris.