Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wrap Up, Odds and Sods

I'm a bit behind on my chores with that long weekend away from home.  Groceries, laundry, etc.  Added to that is the gun cleaning chore.  Plus some kitchen table gunsmithing.

I oddly had 2 FTF issues with the Colt 1911.  2 different McCormick magazines failed to get the last round in the mag into the pipe.  The nose is in the chamber, but pointer 'up' at a severe angle.Hmmmm.  I don't like that.  Not one bit.  Not til I figure out why.  Tired mag springs?  Not enough oomp in the recoil spring.

If that happens to you, practice your tap-rack-bang.  Might as well make quick recovery second nature to yourself.

I need to break out the LocTite.  Trollops borrowed .44 has a habit I've seen in MBtGE's .44.  The screws like to back out with use.  Dropping a screw on a farm field in Ohio means you'll never see it again.  I noticed the cylinder wouldn't close and though, "Aha!  This is the first time I've been at THIS rodeo."  Easy fix if you notice in time.

I can hit the cylinder release screw on the snubbie, too.  And maybe put the wood grips back on the 229 and loctite THOSE screws as well.

What else?  Hmmm.  Playing with MBtGE's EOTech made me covet one for my ownself again.  Maybe Christmas.

Mike W had a .357 Sig barrel for HIS P229 at the shoot.  I had never shot .357 Sig, but my magazines and gun could take a drop in and run it, so it was nice to see what it felt like.  I don't think I could tell the difference between it and .40!  And .357 Sig ballistics has a lot going for it.  Another thought to mull over.  I could practice with .40 S&W but self-defense rounds could be .357.  With my luck I'd forget to swap barrels between sessions.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Maybe enough grime in the slide rails to 'slow' the recoil? Or weak springs is another possibility as you've noted.

Mike W. said...

With my luck I'd forget to swap barrels between sessions.

This is why I had my .40 S&W P229 barrel Cerahided in a different color.