Saturday, September 3, 2011

Training

Good point!  If I am gonna go into debt spending money on boomstick related stuff, I should prioritize training. 

I've had this problem before though.  What training? 

There are really great instructors I know of, but are often far away, incurring travel and hotel costs to take their course. 

There are many courses nearby, but are usually beginner stuff, and I don't really need an introduction to the 4-Rules.  We've already met. 

And there are instructors, that while they occasionally get kinda close in Virginia for a possible daytripper, they also teach stuff at a level I'm not quite at yet, speed and accuracy wise, and I'd just hold it back.

So it's a quandry, and I'm in vapor lock over it. 

6 comments:

Phillip said...

Well, you could look around and see if any ranges in your area do stuff like IDPA or IPSC, and what it takes to join and participate. It's not official training, but you'll be amazed how much you can pick up just showing up, running your course, and more importantly, watching other people run theirs. Plus, the range officers are usually a little more experienced, and you'll end up getting advice offered, which you can take or not. If some advice seems hinky, consider asking one of the other gunbloggers you're familiar with if you should follow it. You could also find out through that grapevine if there's any decent training instructors in the area.

Just some thoughts. You could get into it and find that you really don't get your value's worth. :-) But then, you get the chance to shoot and test your skills against other people's times. Unless it's a really horrible club, it's not really a losing situation.

lordjim said...

I've heard good things about these guys: Saurez International, but no personal experience. Hopefully next year I'll have some money and time.

Gunnutmegger said...

Gabe Suarez has a, um, reputation.

Might want to google around and see if he is yout cup of tea...

Murphy's Law said...

What Gunnutmegger said. Suarez has his small band of groupies but among the other trainers and the law enforcement community, he's not exactly highly regarded.

Tam said...

Dude, NoVa is Todd Green's home turf.

Tam said...

D'oh! I didn't see that your link went to ToddG's place.

Color me embarrassed. :o