A neophyte shottist's exploration and exercise.... Read by dozens daily
Tuesday, September 24, 2019
84th Division Documentary
Watching this old documentary. 84th Division holding the Marche - Hotton road in the Battle of the Bulge, and other actions.
I wonder why this guy's ammo has the rounds sticking our like that? At first I thought it was stripper clips for an '03, but now thinks it's an M1.
But it's nice to see closeup of a soldier kit in these.
Everyone has one of these. Guessing gas mask? I could be wrong and they are extra rounds for the mortar tube spread out over a squad. But other than that they seem to be packing surprisingly light. These days I expect bigger rucksacks getting humped all over for our soldiers. When they're not fighting. Maybe these aren't expecting imminent action, but action soon. Nice having lots of trucks hauling your groceries.
Even with a bigger pack it's still not that big.
But there is the entrenching tools.
It just struck me.
Lots of this is stock footage or footage re-used from other parts of the same documentary. Such is the way of 1940s film. You got more movie than you got footage. I recognized someone hitting the deck from a different training film. But the vast majority seems to be stuff from November and December 1944. They aren't putting too much stuff from 1942, say, to pad it out.
To be confident and competent enough with a rifle to be able to hit anything I can see in a Jovian Thunderbolt kind of way.
To be able to defend myself with a handgun.
To perhaps harvest some tasty venison with either a rifle or a shotgun, any skin or antler is just a nice bonus, here.
And, if necessary: To Defend the Ramparts of Democracy from a Level 4 Zombie Outbreak or against the Jacobin, Rampaging, Godless, Red-Commie Hordes (or their modern equivalent.)
"You never select a shotgun as your primary anti-zombie firearm. It's great for onesy twosey, but zombies travel in hordes. The reload time is onerous, and the ammo, while effective, is heavy and bulky and short ranged."
Big Mistake for Her
If Ginsberg had let Scalia put the words "strict scrutiny" in Heller and Hillary said "Gun control is just not going to be a priority for my administration," Hillary would have been elected President.
People I Hit F5 on all day, hoping for more content...
No Monopoly on Emotions
-
Quote of the Day You will never win the war of emotions against gun control
advocates. But you can’t afford to lose that battle either. … The gun
control s...
Unusual Kill
-
One of the F/A-18F Super Hornets that had been operating off the *USS
Abraham Lincoln* was photographed while returning to its home base in San
Diego sport...
Morning Pun
-
So the radio ad offered "Free gutter examination,: and I thought it
would be nice to have a professional look at 'em. I called the number and
get an...
The Ultimate Light Machine Gun Concept
-
The modern light machine gun sits at an interesting crossroads. For
decades, the basic concept has been the same: provide a small infantry unit
with a belt...
Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make Link Updates
-
Some of the links to Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make have become unworkable
over the years. The buttons have the current link and take my readers
directly ...
The man who made the Internet possible
-
Divemedic has been geeking out about home network stuff which has been a
bit of a walk down memory lane - I once had a supervisor who turned down my
requ...
Weekend Knowledge Dump- October 2, 2026
-
Knowledge to make your life better. If you have some free time, check out
some of these links this weekend. Teaching Your Brain to Look Through the
Dot ...
What caliber for Optimus?
-
Yeah, I’ve not been blogging in a long time. But AI has happened in the
interim. I use it. I like it. It’s certainly made my life easier and more
entertain...
The New Resistance to the 2A
-
You can see the resistance is shaping up around “sensitive places” doctrine
and “good moral character.” I remember seeing a comment from Prof. Adam
Winkler...
Eighteen Years Ago Today...
-
Eighteen years ago today, my son was born. TheBoy entered the collective
conscious, bringing "father" to the list of names I proudly wear. He's off
to the ...
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
1 comment:
He's carrying a Garand and those rounds are visible in clusters of 4, not 5, so those rounds would be loaded in 8 round en bloc clips for the Garand.
Post a Comment