Friday, September 20, 2019

If you could live in a past era...

What era would you choose?

Me?  I wouldn't want to go too far back.  No Rome or Colonial New England.  Certainly not 30 Years War era.  I'd want Air Conditioning and Anti-Biotics, and Modern Dentistry.  Yes, I capitalized them, as they are Important.

So, Post WWII.

Hey, Ima like the look of cars for a bit until the mid 70s!

But what would I drink?

Post prohibition beer isn't that great, and only get's worse over time until the microbrew revolution 60 years later.  Soda of the 40s-70s, for me, is too sweet.  I have to wait for the mid-80s to get a decent sugar substitute.  You remember how bad cyclamates and saccharin was!  So, decent beer is unavailable in the US for a couple decades, then when aspartame is available you still have to wait another decade for truly good micros to roll into the market.

Pah!

There is no such thing as the good old days.

Maybe I can live off of Ballantine from 1940-1970.


---

Guns?  Please.  Plenty of well made all-metal revolvers and automatics, the height of the war surplus days, and look for me to pickup some fun sub guns when inflations makes $200 seem less a bite.  Pre 1964 Winchesters.  The problem is what to restrict myself to.

2 comments:

The Neon Madman said...

Even if I could, I don't think that I would want to. We have it very good today, in fact most of us live like rich people even a generation ago would have wanted to. Also, looking back, we tend to forget the bad parts of post decades. Just go back to the 50's - racism, polio, pollution, etc. I'll stay here, thanks.

Not that I am completely satisfied, though. Where is my flying car? Where are the undersea cities, and the moon colonies?

Comrade Misfit said...

Yes, but the ammunition sucked in comparison to modern-day rounds. Semis were pretty much all FMJ. Revolvers were LRN or SWC. There were some JSP/JHP rounds for magnums, but they would pretty much zip through a person.