Wednesday, September 18, 2019

These gimmicks always intrigue me

See All Open Sights.


I'm a sucker for fancy new sighting systems and I have to resist buying all of them with every fiber of my being.  Sometimes I succeed in resisting the temptation.

This one, tho...  Maybe I can try it on a Ruger .22 pistol...  It's not that expensive.

If you are the type of person that will put a mini-red dot on your 9mm, why not this?  It's more compact.  Though you lose some view under the 'dot' that you already don't have with iron sights, but do with regular red dots.

"Why do you resist getting these new fangled sight things, or sights with wide notches and big dots or sights with little triangles or sights that are just troughs in the slide, T-Bolt?"

Well, they don't really gain you much, and sometimes take away.  New equipment combos don't make a better a shooter, the shooter makes a better shooter.  Plus the whole Keep It Simple Stupid.  Were there gains to be made in pistol sights?  Yes, and we already made them.  Compare the sights on a WWII vintage 1911.  Teeny and low vis.  Now look at what come universal on most 1911s that aren't trying to look GI.  Bigger, square, decent rear notch with 'room' for light on both side of the front sight.  I like a single dot, but three dot, or line and dot, or dot over dot, are all fine, too.  I used to have CHANGE IMMEDIATELY to my preferred config, now...  I just live and let live on the sight types.  That's from training with a variety of configurations

"You gonna get one to try, T-Bolt?"

Naw, not right yet.  Let's simmer on this a little while.


1 comment:

Jonathan H said...

I have one of these and haven't gotten it to work right on a rifle or pistol.
Most of the manufacturer documentation revolves around shotgun use, not one piece ammo.