Friday, August 24, 2007

Cheap Gun Wish List

One thing about my serious wish list is that the guns on it are on the spendy side. I’ve been rolling around in my head thoughts of guns that might be fun to play with, and are on the inexpensive side and don’t bust the wallet open. Guns that was reliable, and cheap, usually used, and mayhaps be cached in places safe from burglars by being bricked up in the walls or something. Or hidden in a cabin in the woods to scare of coyotes but not accessible to break-in vandals.

.22 revolvers. They don’t jam, ammo is plentiful, and they are/can be cheap. So cheap, you can cache them and not feel too bad if they get ruined in a PVC pipe cache, buried in a park.

Double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. Cheap and plentiful, with a simple mechanism. Can double as a burglar, scarer offer. Can be used to greater effect bird hunting than my Remington Model 11 because it is longer. Same with skeet and trap shooting.

.22 bolt action rifles. Good for training someone else how to shoot, and for my own practice. Cheap. Can be hidden in a cabin along with the double barrel shotgun and with both long guns you can take on most problems you’d run into in the woods except for maybe a motorcycle gang trolling through with Hollywood style evil on their minds.

One gun a little more expensive than the others that fascinates me is a Lever Gun. Just like the Rifleman. They work fine for a lefty like me. I can get one that is chambered for .357 magnum and keep my ammo inventory simple, still. Short and handy. Like the Marlin 1894C or Browning 92 (used), or Savage 99 or a used Winchester. This gun might belong on my REAL wish list. I will keep an eye out for one the proper caliber and price. Used, of course.

All of these except the last one can be had readily just about anywhere, for not a lot of dough.

Do you see how many guns I have on these wish lists? And no money to speak of right now. Am I insane? Where am I gonna put all these? And these are all of a "get more than one" variety. Sheesh.




3 comments:

BobG said...

Actually, a Ruger semiauto 22 might be cheaper than finding a decent 22 revolver; it is also a very hardy pistol. A silenced version of it was used in Vietnam by some elite groups, since it was one of the most reliable under field conditions.

AlanDP said...

Some of the cheap .22 revolvers are really junk, though, so beware when shopping for one.

My dad has an old H&R 9-shooter that works pretty well. You might come across one of those fairly cheap. Keep an eye out for second-hand Single-Sixes (made by Ruger). They are excellent guns and if you can find one used it might not be so expensive.

BobG said...

I have a couple of the Ruger single sixes, with 22 and 22 mag cylinders, and I think they might cost more than the semiauto.