Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Sickness

Ok, the only problem with going to the gunstore to buy ammo for Ammo Day is the coveting. "Ooooo, there’s that boomstick I really like! I should git er before someone else does!"


Delayed gratification is so hard when you are ramping up a new hobby. I’m still new at this whole ‘go shoot regularly’ thing. There are still BIG gaps in my personal selection. I’d be less anxious if I already had a dozen rifles and a half dozen handguns to choose from. If I had that many I might even have one I was tired of and could trade it in for another I liked better. But I’m not there yet, by a long shot.


But finances are a bit tight. I need to save for a ticket to fly down to Florida and see my Mother, and the Air Conditioner conspired to take all my airplane money. Not to mention the gun money, which has to be lower on the priority list than the Mom money. DANGIT!


Look, I was only able to afford 30 rounds of ammo on Buy Ammo day.


Well, what about consumer debt? There is enough room on my credit card to buy THREE guns and a first class plane ticket to the Shady Acres Active Retirement Community in Sunny Orlando. Aw, geez! I am having issues keeping the balance down NOW, and this is the first time since the DEE-vorce since I carried a balance longer than 2 months. To pare down the balance I shouldn’t even go coach on Puddle-Jumper Airlines, much less buy a parts Polish SKS for a double sawbuck.


Thanks be to all that is holy that the "check engine" light on the Thundermobile was just a loose gas cap causing the computer to hiccup. Usually, the Thundermobile only acts when I have a windfall of money, not a dearth, so this was a happy development, with no ground transportation outlays required at this time.


And as soon as the raise comes out, I am polishing the resume and looking for a new contract. The home office of my company is acting squirrelly. They’ll have to bribe me a lot more to buy my loyalty.
So back to the quandary… Go into greater consumer debt to get a pistol AND plane ticket (ouch!) or just the plane ticket, or delay gratification, and risk mother’s wrath, and let someone else get their filthy mitts on that really nice .380 I’ve been admiring from afar (and anear) and wait til Spring to visit the maternal unit?


Again, damn my financial self-discipline and delayed gratification predilection. (The delayed gratification predilection is a recent development, and the most tenuous.) So I am pure.
Except lying in bed, in the dark, when no one is watching, in the wee hours of the morning, and little raspy voice deep inside me says, "Go on! It’ll be ok. Just get it. Tomorrow. Yes? Good. Good." That voice causes no end to my consternation.



I gotta get on a new contract at work....



No comments: