Sunday, November 4, 2007

Grammar

Typos.

Are they really Typos? A typo would be this: "typ9"

Right?

You may notice other typos. Not really typos, but... you know what I mean.

It's instead of Its and vicey-versey

I know the difference between It-Is and It-possessive.

But sometimes, in my hast, my fingers type the opposite of what I know. Really. Then I don't catch it. And look like an idiot.

Same with there/their, where/wear, would/wood, that sort of thing.

It's like my fingers hear what I'm thinking, and write what they hear, here.

Not, "Its like my fingers here what I'm thinking and right what they here, hear."

I have no idea why, other than I don't type carefully, or proofread/edit properly.

It doesn't mean I'm some sort of genius. Affect/Effect STILL confuses me, sometimes. If I could wave a magic wand over my scribblings, I'd make it so I felt compelled to proofread them better.

2 comments:

Brad K. said...

Since you mention grammar and spelling, I wondered if the 'shottist' in your page header was intentional - I had seen 'shootist' used, first in the John Wayne movie but many times since.

I was taught there were three levels of getting things wrong in typing.
1) Slip. The most minor, you know what is correct, you intend to be correct, but your finger slips, or you mis-aim. A mechanical problem, an 'occasional out-of-tolerance' act.
2) Mistake. You know what is correct, but mistakenly choose to do something else. A 'Doh!' moment, an 'I knew that!' mistake.
3) Error. What you know is wrong. Thinking you aren't too impaired to shoot or drive. Oops. Thinking that smoking won't hurt anyone, or tossing 'old' boxes of ammo into the burn barrel won't cause a problem.

Dyslexia, getting a few letters or entire words backwords or out of order, hits many of us. Some have a chronic problem, mine shows up, slightly, when I start getting tired. Mechanical slips that become mis-spellings. Typos.

I read a lot. I usually have a good feel for when they're> right, but their dog was at fault. But when I focus on a blazingly astounding thought that will change the world .. sometimes things flip around and a misteak[sic] happens.

At least, that is how I see it.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Oh, I meant Shottist. It was how Colonel Jeff Cooper spelled it, and he checked the nomenclature and etymology carefully to find.... it probably isn't right. But he still used it.

My other HUGE problem is with NO and KNOW. Oh GOLLY I know the difference between those two words, certainly?