Saturday, July 5, 2008

Book Review: The Road

Chuckles recommended the book The Road despite the fact it's on Oprah's list. It's by Cormac McCarthy, the guy that wrote No Country for Old Men.

TALK about depressing.

Post apocalyptic world, father and son journey.

That's why Chuckles recommended it, and every other father of an 8-12 year old boy I know. Being spoorless myself, I didn't identify with the father toward son bond going on in BLEAK WORLD OF HOPELSSNESS, FEAR, DESOLATION, and stale canned foods. When I was a kid the bond the other way was hiking 50 miles on the C&O canal with my dad. Just a little wet and tiresome, but we didn't worry about Mad Max style barbarians looking to eat us, so that trip had some FUN to it. (That reminds me, what is survival preparedness without the ability to hike 10 miles a day with a 100 pound pack? I need to kit up a bit more and try that again.)

Gunnie content? The dad had a revolver and 2 bullets. A big purpose for the gun? Desperation suicide for both of them if backed into a corner. Ick.

Do not read. Especially if you are a father.

2 comments:

Turk Turon said...

I loved that book, and I have two sons, 16 & 19.

I like the post-apocalypse sub-genre anyway. But bleak and desolate? Yeah, The Road is both.

It's a tough read for a father of sons; it hit me where I live, definitely.

Strong stuff; I won't forget it.

Anonymous said...

read it two years ago.
best of Cormac's books.
it's being made into a
movie, which will stink
'cause the language used
to describe the road is
the best part. visually,
it's the same from start
to finish.