Friday, November 24, 2017

Who taught this guy...

... to shoot like this?


Sumdood.  He might have said his name but I missed it.

Serisouly, though.  Isoceles mostly, head hunched down, leaning forward, wrappy grip...

The kind of answer I am looking for is:

"Oh, that's the posture/method the FBI, and subsequent police trainers used from the mid 80s up to the earyl oughts, T-Bolt."

or

"I was in the Boston PD back in the 60s, T-Bolt, and that is how they taught us at the Academy.  That guy with the stache prolly learned to shoot like from his Dad of summat.  I don't think BPD does it that way anymore, but I am not sure."

or

"I just graduated from the Police Academy and they taught us a different stance, but my buddy went to another Academy and they taught this, so it is still current."

finally

"Everyone I know shoots like that, T-Bolt.  Are you doing it different?  Not one handed, are you?"


"So what are you getting on about, T-Bolt."

Well, it isn't the push me pull you bent arm Weaver. But it is a common presentation. You can't say 'Isosceles' and leave it at that can you?

5 comments:

Bradley said...

He learned it from you OK?! /sarc :shifty eyes: :P

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

My Department teaches a modified Isosceles. Much like what you see here, a bit less 'lean toward the target', and a lot less head scrunching. Basically, Isosceles, but with the dominant foot about 3 inches ahead of the other, slight lean into the target, and bring the firearm into the sight plane. Some people scrunch their heads down into their shoulders, but I think it's more of an unconscious thing.

But seriously, if you really wanna know where he learned to shoot like that, send him an email. Jay G. one of the most approachable guys in the gun industry.

stuckinmassachusetts@comcast.net

That's his old email from his blog Marooned, but I bet he checks it still. May just take him a week or two to respond. Or you could surf around Shooting Illustrated's website and find an updated email for him.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Jay G. *is* one of the most approachable guys in the gun industry.

I hate it when I leave a whole word out.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I know where his house is.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

The joke is on me, apparently :)