Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Be Careful

Near my house people keep getting hit by cars.

Now that area has lots of foot traffic.  There is a mall and a subway station and lots of apartments.  Demographics are heavily Hispanic immigrants, and they come from a culture that might not be inculcated with pedestrian safety messages since birth.  Plenty of hobos begging for change and the traffic lights.  On my drive in in the morning LOTS of people crossing not at the crosswalk, in the early morning, when it is dark and my window is foggy.  Many are in a hurry to get to a bus stop on the 'other' side of the road.

And that's how you get hit.  Here.

When I was a kid I lived further up county and those areas were plagued by a lack of sidewalks next to roads.  So people got hit going along the road rather than crossing.

So what will this mean going forward?  Probably a push for more speed cameras.  I pass 3 schools on my way to the highway in 4 miles.  That means 3 speed cameras giving you a ticket if you go 40 in a 35.  But most people are over cautious and act like "if I get a ticket going 5 over, maybe they will send me a check if I go 5 under..." so we get an increase in fender benders as people slam on the brakes.






1 comment:

Keith said...

So, the MoCo speed cameras don't take your picture until you're going 11 mph over the speed limit, and can't be used on roads where the speed limit is over 35 mph.

Though I also experience the folks going 5 under. I wish more people knew about the threshold and at least went the speed limit around the cameras.