Thursday, February 27, 2020

Well!

THIS could turn my world upside down.

"It’s NOT your Trigger Control"

I just made a quantum leap in personal shooting performance proficiency by relaxing and doing my trigger right, finally.  Will this rabbit hole upset that apple cart and get me better by doing... well not the opposite, but...

Look at me.  Now I am excited about learning again.

"So you are telling me that while you are gripping the handgun with nine fingers (and your palms if you have built your grip correctly), that the little ole trigger finger is overpowering the other fingers in the hand and pulling the gun offline?"

Well, no.  Sorta?  It's only 10% of it?  You should see what I do with the rest of everything when I screw up my trigger control.

Oh, you get into that in the very next sentence.  I should shut up and read, and think... Ooo, and bookmarking.  Looks like the class move around the country... good.  I need to scratch an itch.

"if you are gripping the gun hard and increasing the pressure in the controlling fingers while you pull the trigger, you will be moving the gun. Switch that to gripping and THEN pulling (while maintaining the pressure) and you will fix your issue."

OK!  I will try that.  A single concrete item to test on myself.  Good good.

1 comment:

McChuck said...

I've read your continuing struggles for years. I wish I could help.

Everything in short to moderate range shooting is fundamentals. Grip. Sight picture. Trigger. Breathing. Stance/position. Mindset. Everything.

Get yourself a realistic BB or soft air pistol. Practice in your basement or back yard. Repeat the mantra - "Shooting is magic. I press the trigger, and a hole appears in the target where I wanted it to. Shooting is fun." When the weather improves, turn clay pigeons into dust. Shoot them to bits, and then shoot the bits. Practice shooting cans, then practice shooting into the cans. Make them dance across the yard.

Shooting is fun. Inside 300 yards, it's not work, and isn't meant to be. If you're not having fun, you're probably doing something wrong, and head-faking yourself. Don't be so serious.