Saturday, September 19, 2020

And Ammo

 Commenter 'Tim' mentioned that you should bring lots of ammo to the training class.

Well of course.  If they say the class runs through 500 rounds, total, in the 4 days it goes on, I'd have at least 600 rounds with me.  And probably a dozen magazine pre-loaded that I wouldn't count toward my personal total.

Though I question the value of high round count training classes.  Personally.  I just don't have the stamina for all that.  I think once fatigued out, unless you are training specifically for fatigue and how it affects your shooting, you aren't getting the learning bang for the buck.  And you might be reinforcing bad habits.

But a class that mentions a high round count does mean something positive.  Sounds like more time at the range and less time in the classroom.  Which is a good selling point for lots of shooting courses.  Unless you are learning first aid, or various law work wrt firearms and self-defense.

---

I see myself showing up with a pair of duplicate 1911s and the instructor going "uh oh, another of these guys.  what a pain." But I'd also have my shooting log and my gunsmith toting bag with spare springs and parts.  Then my only problem keeping up with the Glock guys will be the mag sizes.  I am confident that my 1911s work well enough I wouldn't be 'that guy' with them.  A Glock would break first. 

---

The tip of my extractor broke off?  I can fix that.  The replacement will have adequate tension set, but not be rock solid fit to the firing pin stop.  I've hear of the slide stop breaking.  Can replace that.  It too will be looser, but functioning.  

But it's a class, no time for testing.  That's why:  twin gun.  

You can replace a lot of broken pins and springs without too much worry or need for live fire tests.  

1 comment:

Will said...

Bring a spare holster, and gun belt. And gun. Spare eye and ear pro. Spare magazines and the loading tool.

Easily replaced spare parts would be good. I was in a 40 person class and 4 Glocks broke. Admittedly one broke the day before the class started. He was doing ccw, and the school didn't have the part on Monday.

Loaned a belt to someone who showed up expecting a dress belt to handle a holster.

If you are transporting your ammo, go shoot some of it first. Had one class where the ammo my buddy had brought had a problem with the brass. Apparently it wasn't tempered, as we were getting major bullet setback. My short barrel would load it, but his longer slide gun would choke.