Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I admire his moxie, but...

I'm trying to talk a guy at work down off the ledge.  He wants to buy his first rifle.  He wants a Barrett M107A1/M82.  And he lives in Maryland with the expected Maryland quantity and sized rifle ranges. 

He's shot rifles a bit, but has never owned one, so it's less ridiculous than it sounds.  And Barret is very fine manufacturer, sure.  But still. 

I recommending shooting other people's Barretts for a hundred rounds or so before plunking down, what?  $6000?  Or, alternatively, take that money and buy a Remington 700 tricked out like an M24 and get a great scope from Leupold and a bunch of match ammo and have lots of fun shooting it and still have money left over for a sizable downpayment on a new car.

I just think it a bit much.  For a first rifle. 

4 comments:

Tam said...

It's a free country, of course, but I wouldn't buy an M82 even if I had the money.

Too awkward to transport, too expensive to feed, and shooting a .50 BMG with a proper optic on a covered 100yd range is as fun and rewarding as fly-fishing in a ten gallon aquarium. Plus, the other shooters hate your guts because of the muzzle blast.

Boat Guy said...

I would buy a Barrett (and may yet). If you can find one for $6K you're getting a pretty good price on one from my experience.
WAY TOO MUCH rifle for a first (2nd, 3rd, 10th) and Tam is right (as usual) about the muzzle blast ("World shattering" comes to mind as a descriptor).
"First rifle" has always meant .22LR in my world...

Bubblehead Les. said...

Does he own a Pistol, and is it a Deagle or a Judge?

Jay G said...

Les's comment wins.