Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ammo Commonality

Folks that are big, devoted fans of this blog (all both of you) are already aware of my ammo philosophy. For the casual reader it's simple:

I'm trying to keep ammunition inventory relatively simple by limiting the varieties.

So I am consciously avoiding greatly diversifying the ammo types with lots of orphans. In other words, I don't want a 7mm rifle, and a .30-06, and a .300 Mag, and a .308, and a 7.62x54, and a 7.62x39, and a 6.8mm, and 6.5mm Nipponese... and on and on. I want one or two for the rifle.

If I was truly fanatical, I'd stick with just one. Like ONLY .45 Colt, in pistol and a rifle. I'm crazy, but not that crazy.

So if I restrict my self to as few cartridge types as possible, And if you are paying VERY close attention to my fantasy Wish Lists, I try to get more that one weapon per cartridge type.

Sure I'll have one or 2 'orphans' but I am trying to avoid it. The .380 Pocket Hammerless that I will get... I may never get a SECOND .380. (Ok... but that is far down on a Tertiary list. Forget Primary and Secondary).

For example. I have a Garand in .308. I have my eye on a M1A that is a .308. Two .308s. Might get a bolt action rifle in .308. Or perhaps bolt in .30-06 to go with my Springfield 03. You get the point. 4 rifles, but only 2 cartridges. Same with a .22 rifle AND a pistol or two. A .357 revolver AND a Marlin 1894C that happens to fire the same caliber. A double barrel shotgun to go with my Model 11 Remington, both in 12 gauge.


One problem item has escaped the wish list, though. The 1911 style .45 has no companion piece to go with it on ANY of the lists. I'm not about to get a Tommy gun. One of those things cost more than all my guns and all the guns on my lists times 2. At least in the automatic version. I put a .45 Carbine on the Secondary list, but... The Marlin Camp Carbine is intrguing, but I haven't fallen in love with it, or the concept. Big plus, though: they use the same ammo AND THE SAME MAGAZINE as a 1911 .45. I wish they were still in active production.


Orphans of mine might be the 20 gauge single shot. A .380 pistol. Even that .30-06 03 that will end up being safe queen. (Too much sentimental value to sell, too much REAL value to sporterize and make useful. I wish it was an A3 verion with a peep sight...) But that's if I stick to JUST .308.

If I get a .223, I don't know if I'd double up on that type either. More likely to do so with the Russian 7.62x39, and THEN I'd be more likely to get more than one. There is a very sligh chance I'd get something a little heavier, for longer range shooting, but I don't think I'll ever have the skill level to outshoot the range on a .308. That round is fine on 600 yard, even 800 yard targets, and I have no business shooting that far for serious. Not yet, certainly. If I get that good I will have spent many rifle's worth of ammunition attaining that skill and THEN I'll think about some super round in the "Bigger than typical .30 cal cartridge."

But that is low on the Master List.



4 comments:

Jack Gordon said...

You could always get a nice Walther PP/PPK. It's got James Bond appeal and CDI (Chicks Dig It). Then you won't have a .380 orphan.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yesh, I COULD do that, Q, But then people might conshider me a Euro-pozsher.

And beshidesh, John Moshesh Browning would rishe from the grave and shtalk me down.

Anonymous said...

I want a gun in every cal eventually!

It would suck if the only ammo you can salvage after the zombies come is 9mm...

... if you didn't have one.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

BASTAGE!

Now I need 9mm

and 10mm, and .40, .41, .44, .25, .32, .410.....