Thursday, October 18, 2007

Goal Recap

I started this blog 4 months ago. Let's see about my progress toward my four goals.


To be confident and competent enough with a rifle to be able to hit anything I can see in a Jovian Thunderbolt kind of way.



I've been to the range several times, before and since, with the Garand. I can reliably hit a center mass of a man or deer size target from 100 yards away with iron sights. I need to tighten this group size at this range, practice more, and perhaps measure myself by using something like a Army Qualification Test type target. I should better record my results at any rate, to keep better track of any improvements and perhaps nip problem areas in the bud.

To be able to defend myself with a handgun.

I've practiced some, but less than the rile, with the handgun. I've identified a weakness or two in my shooting and I am working on fixing those flaws. Recording on paper, in a range book, will be helpful with handguns as it would with the rifle. Despite flaws, I am still hitting decent center mass shots (just a little to the right) at 7 yards. The idea is to take these 7 inch groups, center them, and make them 3 inch groups. We'll work on drawing from a holster after the marksmanship improves, since I can't carry in Maryland. (must look into getting a carry permit for Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania)


For both the above goals, getting a raise at work will help with devoting more financial resources to range practice. Actively working on this problem now.


To perhaps harvest some tasty venison with either a rifle or a shotgun, any skin or antler is just a nice bonus, here.


Took the Maryland Hunter Safety course and got a Maryland hunting license. That should make it easier to get an out of state license in Virginia. My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast has 2 potential sites, in Virginia, to go hunting and we are scouting one location this weekend. I put together most of a backpack filled with hunting type supplies, including day glow orange clothing. Hunting ammo bought and loaded into clips. I might not shoot a deer this season, but I'll get to be in the woods enjoying the experience, certainly. I must remember to take Moe the Bartender's advice to heart, too: "You only got room for 3 carcases in truck, so only shoot trophy bucks."


And, if necessary: To Defend the Ramparts of Democracy from a Level 4 Zombie Outbreak or against the Jacobin, Rampaging, Godless, Red-Commie Hordes (or their modern equivalent.)


I've accumulate some ammo, assembled some supplies and much of a bug out bag. I could hole up at home in any weather for couple weeks in a SHTF situation, or be on the road in 15 minutes with plenty of supplies to last as long. No where near read for a TEOTWAIKI circumstance, but is anyone TRULY ready for that? I have some ammo, but need to get more. I need to tune the BoB quite a bit more, too. Not enough food, not enough water, not enough first air, not enough fire, not enough cash, not enough orienteering supplies in the BoB. I possess all proper firearm types at this point; major caliber Rifle, Shotgun, .22, and a major caliber handgun. Any further firearm acquisitions would just be improvements.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should attend an Appleseed shoot near you. They (we) use the AQT and after two days you will be a Rifleman.