Sunday, October 7, 2007

The List recap

Ok, I going over The List in my head, after this recent spate of acquisitions:

  1. M1A, and leaning toward the Fulton Armory Super Scout, with mags and accoutrement, over $2000+ (ouch).


  2. .45 ACP, leaning Mil-Spec Springfield, $700


  3. Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless, $500-$900


  4. Bolt Action .308 or .30-06 with 9x scope, together, $1200-$3000. Or $500. Hard to tell. Perhaps a Remington 700 series, left handed, tack-driver.


  5. A Marlin Lever action like the 1894C, chambered in .357/.38.


  6. .22 semi-auto with a suppressor, like the Ruger MkIII, $900+, and that's after all the Class 3 rigamarole.


  7. Longer Shotgun, perhaps a double barrel, $200 (this one maybe covered by a longer barrel for my Remington Model 11, and the Sears 20 gauge)


  8. Bolt Action .22, free (covered by the recent Mossberg pick up)


  9. .22 Revolver , $250


  10. Ruger 10/22, $250




And that is pretty much in the order of desire, if not the actual order of future acquisition. If I got a new job next week, I'd hit that pocket hammerless in the #3 spot because I know where a nice one is. And the #2 spot is probably an April 15th purchase for Buy-a-Gun day. The M1A at the top is slow to acquire because of sheer cost and the fact the Garand I have needs tuning and fills its role. #4 may take a while because of extreme indecision and the decision to compromise at a minimum.

Golly, that's a lot of money when you write it down.


Notice the list has blended the primo's with the tertiary selections. I lucked out and got some recent pick-ups that fill the cheap-gun spots. The .22 pistols got short shifted, didn't they. Not really... See the next post.


But do I NEED them? Well, gun enthusiasts will understand the need. Very enthusiastic gun enthusiasts (gun nuts, bless 'em) will think I am short changing myself but not adding 20, 50, 80 more models to the list. Non enthusiast however... yes, for them I have all I need. A rifle to hunt with and exercise my rights, a 12 gauge for defense, hunting, and exercise my rights, a major caliber handgun for defense and exercise my rights, and a .22 for practice and hunting small game. And to exercise m... you get the point. For the gun banning types, I only need... zero. Well I am too far gone for that, now, aren't I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd get the longer barreled M1A. The shorter barreled versions seem to defeat the strength of the M1A as an extremely accuate main battle rifle. You could get an AR-style rifle and change the uppers if you wanted to shoot .308.

As for the cost of guns, just take 'em one at a time.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I'll get an AR style rifle when I'm dead dead dead and buried on the cold cold ground.