Friday, January 18, 2008

The Jay G Challenge

Jay G said in my comments: "Are you buying guns to shoot, or collect?" When I was a hemmin and a hawin on the Carbine a coupla posts ago. I'm buying guns to shoot, Mister G!

Just look at my goals over there on the right. --->


They are, in order and in summary:

1. Shoot better, rifle

2. Shoot bad guys better, pistol

3. Shoot better and eat

4. Shoot lots of undead bad guys if you have to.


The carbine hemmin' was because of the hunt for fun things to shoot with, and I happen to be more flush with cash now than I have in a long time. And I'm not collecting. I just want one of each. A decent user kit and some spares.

Jay G suggested the ubiquitous .22 revolver to decrease costs. Get more practice with quantity of shots fired per unit of ammo money spent. All very valid points, even if I am a bit better off (and it's ONLY a bit. stop sending me letters soliciting money, people. BOTH of you.) a .22 revolver is a great gun. And I hope it will get some weekly use. You see, I am really considering popping for a year long membership at the Gilbert Range in the Spring. Like a gym membership, I'd have to go every week to make it worthwhile. At the end of the year, the BIG expense won't be the membership, though, it will be the ammo. A box of .38, a box of .45 , every week ain't cheap. So I will HAVE to use .22 to get any kind of time-on-target in.

I would hope that after a year of weekly + practice, instead of the current monthly, I might get halfway decent on the range. Certainly passable better than I am now. I'll re-assess membership after that year. We'll see how it goes.

I know some locals are down on Gilberts for it's strict range rules and expense. But I figure it's only a year. It's just TOO close to home not to be considered.

1 comment:

Brad K. said...

One genre of speculative fiction is the survival novel. About what the survivers do after the wreck of civilization. Lucifer's Hammer (Hot Fudge Sundae falls on Tuesday, by Niven and Pournelle) is one, Wolf and Iron is another.

Wolf and Iron mentions the .22 rifle as the weapon of choice. Larger caliber sound carries farther. The likelihood of attracting a band of roving bad guys makes the extra effort of hunting with the .22 worth while.

The classic Heinlein novel 'Door Into Summer' actually claims in a survival situation you want *less* weapon than you think you need. You need to stay scared and wary. There will always be someone with a better shot, a heavier weapon. You are better off not *changing* unexpectedly from hunter to hunted.

Just a thought.

For now, at least, my Remington .22 bolt action seems adequate.