Monday, January 7, 2008

You Know What Else I Worry About?

Getting a hint of oil on the primers of any stored ammo. It is supposed to TOTALLY destroy the primer, making the gun firing that round go click instead of bang.

Then I saw this article.

And I relaxed.

Don't get oil on your stored ammo. But don't obscess over it, refusing to bring ammo into a ROOM that might have a can of WD-40 lurking in it somewhere. Read it. They pretty much soaked the primer end of a cartridge in petrochemicals for weeks.

That whole website is another informational new-to-me site I've been perusing.

Those are the Box O Truth guys. They like to actually test out theories and document it for us. Not as good as testing yourself, but better than merely taking some guy that posted to a forum's word for it. Much of it is testing how well various rounds shoot. They have figured it out that one milk jug is about the same as 3 inches of ballistic gelatin. But milk jugs are MUCH cheaper to test with. So if a round goes through 4 jugs in a row, then enters jug 5, it penetrated a bit over 12 inches.

They do other tests. How many inches of sand stop a bullet of just about any caliber (six! but low velicity pistols penetrate better. The low speed means the bullet doesn't break up so fast. ) They test against a Buick. Stuff like that. Nifty. I'm all for new and good data points in my learnin.

No comments: