Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Utah

Crap!

Utah is gonna pull back some CCW instructor certs.

The guy I took the training from has to go back to Utah periodically to renew his credentials, and he told me he is due to return this year. I hope he doesn’t get hurt too bad with this. He was a good trainer

The training I received certainly wasn’t gundecked. It was conscientiously thorough, and more extensive than other state training experiences I’ve heard about anecdotally. Probably because my trainer has actually fired at people quite a bit recently and know the weight of responsibility attached.

Oh not in THIS country. He does security contracting in Iraq, protecting Iraqi elected officials from folks that do shoot at them.

I’m hoping that submitting my application in December will get me in under the wire. I hope they don’t purge their roles.

I am of mixed mind over this. I don’t like being lumped in with guys that just got the form signed without doing ANYthing else. If that happens out there, there are bound to be a few guys with Utah CCW permits that couldn’t hit the water if they fell out of a boat and are still working on shooting the first box of ammo they ever bought. I have a bad taste in my mouth to have to get permission from a gov’t entity to exercise my right certainly, but the law is the law. And people that circumvent the CCW law, wrong as it may be, might shirk other laws as well. But circumvention is a noble act of civil disobedience. But in the current climate, where we are trying to affect a sea-change (I always get effect and affect wrong… I have no idea if I used the right one there…) in public opinion by being good little boy scouts to loosen up the laws against a civil right. But, but, but… I could go around in circles on this forever.

Unless there is more changes contemplated, I am probably ok. I will renew the license, IF I get it ok this time, in 5 years without trouble, I am thinking. Hoping, certainly. With luck the rest of the country will have moved the ball further down the field in that time, even in an ostensibly ‘hostile’ political environment.

1 comment:

Mike W. said...

Well as it stands now there's no additional training needed for a simple renewal.

If you've already done the training and submitted your app. you should be good.

My instructor had to fly out to UT for his renewals as well. His class was thorough and didn't skip any of the required stuff.

It seems to me if they're having a problem with a few lazy instructors you deal with those instructors rather than change the law to make it a PITA for everyone.