Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preparing to Fire

Ok, at the range, I've loaded the mags, the target is down range, and I want to make holes in the paper.

This is my semi-ritual, when I remember to do everything. I get better at this ritual each session.

Loosen up. Relax. Put the jarring effect of neighbors at the range with the loud booms out of you mind. Smile. Take a deep breath. This is the fun part. after all.

Bend the knees slightly. Like I am preparing to box. I'm not gonna move around in the booth, but I should behave like I could. Put the strong side foot back just a tich. Even the weight out.

Grip the weapon and try to make the barrel in line with forearm bones. If it's not, I correct it. Eventually you want this grip to be as natural as blinking. Thumb on safety of that 1911, or in that similar place on the SIG.

Do the "Todd Jarret Kung Fun Grip" with the support hand, thumb on spot where trigger guard meets the frame. I have to put it there cuz if I put it on the frame I touch the back of the slide release lever, causing malfuntions.

Be sure I am gripping kind of firmly. It's not a bird.

Now grip 20% tighter. Both hands

At this point I am presenting the gun downrange toward your target. Eyes focused on the front sight

Inhale, exhale a bit, hold that breath.

Tickle that trigger so it is gentle and not jerked and so it surprises me.

Boom. Repeat by focusing on front sight and continue until empty...

[update: the following is a repost of video of the Kung Fu Grip... 1:20 in.]


1 comment:

Brian said...

I'm a bit of a n00b to real shooting, meaning that although I've burned through a ton of ammo over the years. I never got much better, in fact I could make the case that my skills have deteriorated (along with my eyes).

I saw this post the other week and watched the video. You'd think I'd have done a little more research before now and seen this already. Thanks for posting it. I practiced the grip and got the opportunity to try it out at the range today with excellent results.

BTW, I'll be poaching the video for my (mostly, mercifully unread) blog.