Monday, March 16, 2009

Range Birfday

I took the Saucy Trollop shooting on Saturday. It was her birthday.



She had never tried the 1911 with .45 in the pipe, just .22 conversion pops. Nor had she tried .380 Colt Pocket Hammerless. And she loved loved LOVED the recoil of the .357 Smith last time. So those are the three that tagged along, this trip.




We went over the 4 rules ahead of time, as per usual. Though I am personally starting to think of rule #1 as "know the condition of your weapon at all times." I think that is fine, if that mindset is as careful as the traditional #1. I still teach the traditional, so as not to confuse, right now. But I am leaning toward changing my tune externally as well as internally, and deviating from Colonel Cooper's cognitive dissonance dogma.


Anyway, I've been prepping for this trip for some time. I had to squirrel away a lot of ammo is twos and threes to get enough to shoot.

She did ok. Next time she wants more autonomy. To do it all her self. With next to no input from me. I'll probably giver he the revolver, her own lane, and 100 rounds to play with.

She anticipates the shots and recoil and shoots low. That habit started to fade late in the session as she worked on it. The first shot was always pretty good. After that she was pushing.

Her shoulders got tired and she had to take breaks. New, unused, muscles.



Her thumbs were all over the place, and often sticking out in the air. She isn't comfortable with any spots of her grip. More dry fire for her to work the grip and anticipation.

One other thing... I loaded mags up to 8, and didn't lube the slides to test the failure to go into battery malf I noticed a couple sessions ago. Tam was right. That reprodued the error, and now I will avoid 8 rounds in the magazine for the 1911.

No comments: