Thursday, May 6, 2010

How to Shoot the U.S. Army Rifle

Because of that M1 Garand training video, I bought a copy of this book:


It is a cheaply made paperback, filled with black and white photgraphs on a slickish paper and is reminiscent of my father's old Boy Scout Fieldbook (I loved that book, too. I'm gonna have to find it again at his house...)

And it is wonderful.

But I like these kinds of artifacts. If you watched that whole training movie, the book is review of a good part of it, But there some extras. Like how to jump to cover and getting back up again while carrying your M1. There, on paper, is the windage formulas, too. For instance, a good guideline is that you'll need at least 11 clicks of the windage knob in a 25 knot cross wind when shooting at a target 500 yard away. (And you'll probably need 17 or so clicks up from your hundred-yard 'zero' at that range...)

They refer in this book to another document I'd like to read and get a few facsimiles of. The Us Army Score Book.

And the back cover advertises other titles from the The Infantry Journal press in Washington DC. Most of them a quarter in price. Though Infantry in Battle and Warfare is a whole $3. I'd love to see these, too. Other titles: Company Duties: A Checklist, Modern Battle, Keep em Rolling, and American Vs. Germans.

Oh, YOU want to read it now? No problem. Go here and read it online for free.

6 comments:

Diane said...

At a church garage sale years ago, I found a Boy Scout manual...I think from the 40s. It had plane identification in it. Rather interesting to look through.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

For the safety lessons it said not to shave in a full bathtub with an electric razor...

Huey said...

thanks for the link!! I love my M1!!

Huey said...

OK, looked at this closer...THIS IS PURE GOLD WIN!!!! Where did you buy an actual copy of this from, this is one of the finest examples of period literature on the M1 that I have come across.thanks again!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

just googled the title and a half dozen places wanted to sell me a copy

Windy Wilson said...

Hmm I'll have to look for that. They must have printed tens of thousands to give one to every draftee and volunteer.
a few years ago I took the PDF file and printed it out in 8 1/2 by 11, two-sided, and got it spiral bound. The type becomes much better for middle-aged eyes.