Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May Range Revolvers

I had skipped the week before, so I was 2 weeks out of practice when I went last Thursday.

I'm really getting better at this. I shoot a double action snub-nosed better than I shoot a 1911. Sheesh. This session I was starting to fine tune the sight picture, because things were falling into place with everything else, a new factor to notice and improve marginally appears. I'm glad these finer details are occurring to me. When I stop noticing them is when my introspection goes away and my skills will no longer improve.

Sure I knew what sight picture was before this session. But there I am with nigh ideal set up, focused on that front ramp when I think, 'ya know that gap on the side is just half a hair wider than the gap on the other side, and I can correct that.' or 'the front sight is just perceptibly high... better make it NOT high.'

I also shot the .22 single action. I will not win any bullseye prizes, but that is not my goal. My goal is to be good enough with a pistol to defend myself. I'm about there on accuracy. Next long term goal is the speed. I've always been happier with my speed on shot acquisition and time to second shot. I need to work on speed from the holster.

Man I wish there were IDPA shooting competitions closer to home. For the speed test. It's difficult in most ranges as they don't like folks working from the holster at just a regular session with lanes full of strangers.

First target of the day. I was at the far right lane so to avoid hitting the wall I lined the targets up on the left side of the target as a precaution. Here:



.22 in the center, and .38 on the shoot 'n see. Two cylinders each. Notice something? Yup, only nine holes on one, and nine on the other. No idea where the fliers went. Dang! Still, the hits ARE good. One almost got off paper at the bottom.


And the second target:


All .38's accounted for this time. And none of the .22 left the black. 7 yards range on all. The fliers are probably low hits on the top one based on the low hits on this.

I didn't even shoot at that far right paster just because I thought it lined up with the wall. No way do I want to incur the wrath of the range by damaging property.

3 comments:

Paladin said...

I shoot a double action snub-nosed better than I shoot a 1911.

Freak. :)

Notice something? Yup, only nine holes on one, and nine on the other.

Just claim that the missing round went perfectly through a previous hole. Preferably pick the hole closest to the bullseye.

Nice shootin'. It gives me hope for myself when I see someone else improve their shooting.

Kirk said...

is Annapolis too far from home??? Three IDPA shoots a month.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Annapolis can be. Depends on my gumption.