Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Adjusting the List

I love my Colt Pocket Hammerless in .380. But I’ve given up on the caliber.

Oh it’s a fine caliber. And I am not selling the wonderful pistol (I am always surprised about how accurate I can shoot it). And if another decent one showed up, I’d get it at the right price, but I am less inclined to pick up any of the plethora of modern .380s. The only one that holds even the slightest glimmer of desire is that Sig P238 ‘mini-1911’. Even that model is too small for my preference. The 1903/1908 is just perfect for my paws, any smaller and I find the pistol less than ideal. Yet I am getting used the the truncated grip on my snubbie... so you never know.

I just don’t have a need for any more .380 pistols. I have a small pistol for ‘small pistol carry’ in the snubby. The Colt Pocket Hammerless is the backup to that if I had to not have the snubbie with me. But what are the chances of that? Another .380 is a backup for the backup (the current 1908 I own) for the backup (the snubbie is a handy carry, but even IT is a backup to a full power semi like the P229 or 1911.)

Gonna adjust the Master List. Not just for the .380 stuff.

So what is the priority on my Get List now that I’ve undergone a bit of sea change and slow down in my boomstick acquisition preference? Well, a .45 carbine still makes me tingle. I’m thinking custom gun for that. With a suppressor. A modern bolt action lefty modified to take 1911 mags and a big ol can. The whole DeLisle concept. Because it is a custom job that will cost me, so it might be a while before something like that gets in the safe.

Another .308 is a very distant thought. Winchester Model 80 or lefty bolt action is also kinda low, but higher than others on the Tertiary List. The Secondary List is low enough priority.

The only other item that interests me enough to raise to Secondary (nothing is really Primary. Primary I'd get before April) is a near-custom 4-ish inch steel Colt Commander type 1911. A good one. Les Baer maybe? Or a true custom lefty 1911. Lots of forged parts (vis MIM). The features would mimic the ones on my government sized model. A safety on the right side, fixed tritium sights, none of that full length guide rod crap. Maybe a melt job to smooth it out. No hurry on this one, also, because of the big costs associated. Perhaps a lefty stripped receiver in the near future and then the slow accumulation of parts for gunsmith assembly. I could do the fitting myself, but I want this pistol to run well.

I’ll shift the 2 to the Secondary list. Maybe a shotgun too. Nothing is in the Primary. And the acquisition of much on the Tertiary list is now exceedingly remote. If I won a lottery I’d buy property to live on with a space for a rifle range. THEN I’d not hesitate to grab every one I’d ever been interested in and shoot a couple thousand rounds a week. Boy that would be fun.

I'm sort of in the place where if a friend came up and said, "I got this old pump 12 gauge the Missus won't let me keep in the house, and do you want to buy it off me?" I'd get the gun, sure, but not many other circumstances will sell me.

I'm better off buying training classes and practice.

I’m in a bit of a shooting funk. My schedule for range sessions is off but I’m just not feelin it. Plus I've just gone to the beach for a family vacation so that is interrupting my routine, too. I need shooty inspiration.

1 comment:

Tam said...

"I'm better off buying training classes and practice."

This.

Training trumps gear.