Thursday, August 26, 2010

WWTD

I have a label: "WWTD"

It stands for "What would Tam do?"

It's a bit of a josh. Tam is not Christ, by any stretch. But Tam has given up some good gouge over time, and is a reliable advisor. Frex: I had a jam issue with my 1911. Tam asked if I was loading all 8 possible in a 1911 magazine, and that if I was, that may be the issue. Sure enough, she was right. I load 7 now, and have never had an issue since. Good safety tip.

So now I have a category where I consider the experience and knowledge of someone that has been around the gun world a bit and has a level head on her shoulders. Now if she starts her own religion and want me to wire her money, that may be a different matter. But I don't see her trying that. It's similar to the advice I mine from Jeff Cooper's writings. He proffered up a lot of wisdom, and there are a lot of nuggets in there, but you gotta use your head while you filter out the occasional dross. Tam is like that. There is very little dross. It's like she is conscientious of (for? to? dang grammar...) her readers or something.

3 comments:

Boat Guy said...

The link to Tam's site in my favorites is not in the "Gun/2A" but rather in the News/Commentary category. I hit her site immediately after "Day By Day" and "Hope n Change" cartoons and Taranto's "Best of the Web today" at WSJ. I fully concur with your assessment of Tam from what I've read; I've not yet met the lady.
I consider myself fortunate to have gone through Gunsite when Mr Cooper reigned there -and I use the word advisedly. He was a great man and a great writer, but not without his faults; dogmatic to be sure (No flash hider on the Scout Rifle? DUMB. I dumped mine). He certainly had a command of English rarely found anymore.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Never met the Lady in person, but I know when she talks about Firearms, a wise person listens and learns. Even though we may disagree on some caliber preferences, I'd have no problem going into Harm's Way with her at all. By the way, sign up for a good shooting school like she suggested yet?

JoeMerchant24 said...

"Now if she starts her own religion and want me to wire her money, that may be a different matter."

The First Unorthodox Church of Lady Tam sounds like a dogma I may be able to follow.

Where do I join?