Friday, August 27, 2010

Found

Found another training option relatively close by. Practical Firearms Training with Pat Goodale.

Any other suggestions close to DC? This one is probably 4 hours away from me. That's about the upper limit. It might be too far, and I'd have to arrange for a hotel stay.

Anyone take a class with Pat Goodale and can report on it? What little I've heard has been positive, but it is precious little. Any training reports will be appreciated.

I've been dragging my butt getting to my previous trainer. A big reason is it's hot. I'd rather train in January if I have to. Another reason is he's done a lot of contract work overseas and that makes his calendar a little sparse. A final reason is I'm looking for "step two" type pistol training. I've done enough basics, the "step one" stuff, and I know the 4 rules by heart and that that pistol there is a Glock and the bullets come out of THAT end. I don't need more of that review. I'd like to get some training where it is more than a static lane work at an indoor range.

Even with a fuller schedule, you have to reserve a spot pretty early, I find, for anything other than basic classes, if you want to pick the season. For instance, if you want to train in the fall, better sign up the previous January. Unless you are a lucky type.

6 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Mas Ayoob usually does his courses in Harrisburg, PA one a year, both basic and advanced. He's got an advanced course coming up Sept. 13-17. Check it out.

http://massadayoobgroup.com/?page_id=7

Bubblehead Les. said...

I, too would like to train in January when it's cooler, but since Crime happens 24/7, 365 days a year....Of course, nowadays, we have CamelBacks to take to the Range, and they don't interfere with you getting into prone... And, of course, an Appleseed course is a good way to sharpen up the old Rifleman Skills. Cheap, too. Some do .22 and reduced targets to help you knock off the rust. Remember, "A week w/o shooting is a week w/o sunshine", or something like that.

Boat Guy said...

Close to DC? There's no one better than John Murphy at FPF

http://www.fpftraining.com/

I'd trust him to train my wife. Frankly I'd trust him with my life.

Boat Guy said...

I'll expand just a bit. I've trained with John Murphy for years - since the 90's when I first lived in VA. He is a GREAT trainer. I trained with him every time I was stationed in the area subsequently.
I've been to a lot of schools both on the Government's dime and my own and John's course is the equal of the best of them.

Boat Guy said...

One final note; I watched John "salvage" four Marine NCO's who were on the verge of washing out of the Marine Security Guard school 'cause they couldn't master the M9. The MSG's are the folks who protect our Embassies - they HAVE to shoot well. These were otherwise good NCO's who were gonna be dropped from the course for this.
If you've not shot/trained with/trained people with the M9 I'll tell you it can be a difficult piece. John had these folks rocking in a very short time.

Old NFO said...

John Murphy IS a good one!