Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Still not feelin’ it.

I am low on blog fodder.

I DID go to the range after a month long absence. Hooboy. Accuracy suffered. I settled into my usual standard after a couple magazines, though. So, as long as any armed robber gives me time to shoot off 20 rounds of practice ammo before our standoff, I’ll be fine.

Maybe I need to just hit the range every week instead?

I’m not the only one that talks about shooting skills having a shelf life and needing to be constantly honed. People much better than me comment on it. So the need for practice and reinforcement may be nigh universal. And that gives me pause when I think about all the police that only practice twice a year.

What helped tighten up my accuracy this range trip? Bending my knees. Yup. Stance. Leaning forward. It helped a lot. The usual, concentration on front sight and trigger squeeze is ever present and vital for good shots. Let that concentration lapse and I get bad shots. Badder. Worser? You know what I mean.

I haven’t discussed my stance in a while. I shoot with a modified weaver. Shooting arm straight, pistol in line with the major bones, thumbs-forward grip as much as possible (I do need to squeeze harder) support arm slightly bent, shooting foot back a little bit maybe one foot length, knees bent, both eyes open. It works for me right now.

I took the SIG with its Double Action Kellerman operating system and the 1911. I used to be better shooting the SIG over the 1911. But that is starting to shift. Even with the extra practice with revolvers the past year. It’s getting to the point where I’d definitely choose the 1911 in a bowling pin shoot. Sure there is the heavier bullet, but that doesn’t matter if you can’t hit the pin at all. Now I can hit the pin more often with the 1911. So I might not come in DEAD last in a field of 20 competitors.

1 comment:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Look at the bright side, you now know what your baseline is, and you can continue to improve. Provided you practice more often, that is.