Monday, June 20, 2011

I promised a range report

I went to the range early last week.  I just brought the snubbie along.  I had made some mods to it since the NRA Convention. As you can see here:


I bought the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, as my Uncle Mikes, while a good value, was looking tired.  And there a promotional discount.  The new grips are VZ Grips, and I like them MUCH better than wooden or rubber grips.  If you've never tried those kinds of grips, do yourself a favor.  I could not be more pleased with the way they feel.  No, they don't pay me or send me swag or anything.  Also, that's a new tritium foresight by XS Sight Systems.  With J-frames, the big disadvantage is the little nubbin of a sight looking down in a fixed-forged rear groove.  This is the smaller glow-in-the-dark job they sell.  And it is bright.  It might even light my face is a pitch dark room.

Now the only upgrade I need is a camera and photographer.  Sorry about that.

And here is the target.  I was rusty.  It took a while to settle into the groove with the trigger.  And you may notice something, highlighted in green...

 
As I get comfortable with the trigger pull, the low and right anticipatory flinch of mine appears, even with a DA gun.  Interesting.  Otherwise, I shoot DA better than SA, as usual.

I should post a reward... $2000 for the person that fixes my pistol flinch with a 1911.  That would be with a hands on instructor.  I'll mail a $20 bill to anyone that fixes it via comments.  Just a thought that's been rolling around in my head.  I haven't had the chance to test Ritchie's advice.  Need a full size semi-auto for that.  I'd love to owe him $20.

12 comments:

Ian Argent said...

Free and worth every penny, but have you considered a .22 conversion kit, a kiloblock of .22, and a couple of hours of range time?

Murphy's Law said...

Stop anticipating the shot. Keep your focus on the front sight as you apply pressure to the trigger and ignore everything else. when the pistol goes off, it should be a surprise and you should actually see the front sight begin to rise with the recoil.

Daddy Hawk said...

Did you say $2000? Where and when?

Bubblehead Les. said...

Glad to see you were able to get the Drool off the VZ Grips.

T-Bolt, I'm re-Reading Monster Hunter International, and I think I know part of the problem. From the scene where they are learning to use the Shotgun, Larry Correia wrote: "You need to get to the point where your gun is an extension of the body. You DON'T think about shooting, because if you're thinking you're going too slow. You just let the shot happen."

So are you treating a trip to the Range as a School, a Chore or a Job? If you are using Range time to sight in Loads for your weapons, then use a solid rest and set up a load that works with that weapon. Once it's sighted in, then just have FUN. Stop over- thinking. If you ain't having a good time while sending Lead Down Range, then put the guns away until you get an Itchy Trigger Finger. But have FUN. You're Shooting, not brushing your teeth. Unless you get paid to carry a weapon, then it's a Hobby, and Hobbies are supposed to be fun. Put up some Zombie Headshot Targets instead of Bullseyes, and enjoy the time.

Hope this helps.

Old NFO said...

Murphy wins :-) I fixed it simply by standing behind you that day too :-)

Seriously, you're anticipating and 'pushing' the barrel down

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yes, but how do I fix pushing?

JB Miller said...

500 rounds through a .44mag and a tiny .45ACP will not even make you blink.

45er said...

Pushing = anticipation. Murphy's Law said it best. Front sight and trigger. Breathe out, think of nothing but squeezing. The shot will surprise you and you'll hit where you were aiming. Take it slow, slow, slow. Don't try to shoot fast or you will revert back to the push. Front sight, trigger press, slow, boom. Hold trigger back after each shot, let forward just to reset, begin squeeze again. All slow until you get comfortable, then speed will come on its own. Dry fire practice a ton before range time. Put an empty casing on top of your slide during dry fire and try and keep it there. Take a buddy to the range to randomly load saf-t-trainers or snap caps in your mags. Boy, that sure does make you realize when you're pushing.

Vinosaur said...

Just wondering where you found the small XS sight for your J-Frame. I have been looking and can't find one for my 60-15.

Great write up. Good luck working on the push.

abnormalist said...

Do you reload? If you don't have a reloader do this part for you

Get a dozen rounds setup where they have no primer, and no powder loaded, but a normal 230 grain FMJ bullet seated to 1.260 OAL

Fill the primer pocket with hot glue on these rounds and flatten them out.

before any range session put 50 of your rounds in a small bucket, mix in your dozen dummy rounds, and load your magazines without looking at them.

This way you will notice what you're doing wrong when you get a "click" rather than a bang.

Its very important that you dont know when these rounds in question are going to come up though, as if you are anticipating the click you wont do the flinch.

This will show you what you are doing exactly, and be the first step to correcting it. Until you see and feel exactly what you are doing wrong, you wont be able to correct it properly.

Ian Argent said...

Or get a range buddy to mix in some snap caps with regular ammo in your magazines.

Ritchie said...

Eagerly anticipating my wheelbarrow of cash, or whatever might show up. I don't seem to have this problem with my 1911, but then I have the arched mainspring housing, which may have the same effect as my previous advice. Perhaps I will tape a lump of stuff on the rear strap of the G20 and see what that does.