Sunday, June 19, 2011

OOO, this is kinda interesting...

You know that old style house I was raving about that I live in and junk?  Well, not much had been done to it in it's first 50 years.  The first big thing I did to it was ADD insulation to the attic.  Sheesh.  And on top of that insulation, now, this weekend is a bajillion incandescent lightbulbs.  I'm storing the hoard up there.  They are light enough.

I was semi-onboard with the enviromentalist dream of all twist CFL bulbs.  The light sucked but they last 10 years.  So it made economic sense.  Scroo the Mother Nature side of the equation.  Thing is, they don't last 10 years.  They last the same amount of time as an incandescent. 

Sonofa...

So while they are more expensive, at least they don't last longer. 

So the hell with them.  I've laid in a 60 year supply.  You can have my 60-watts when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

5 comments:

JB Miller said...

I have to lay in a supply as well. Otherwise my lava lamp collection is doomed...

Bubblehead Les. said...

On the Shopping List this week.

Old NFO said...

Same here... Got a case and buying another...

Hans said...

Hmm, I suppose I could be an outlier, but I switched five years ago and never had a problem with CFLs. I use them for 6-8 hours a night, too.

Ruth said...

I've had some CFLs die way to early, and some seem to last for forever, I suspect a brand issues personally. We've mostly switched over to LEDs here actually. Either way I like the lighter electric bill. Though I've a couple cases of incandescents myself.....