Friday, July 13, 2012

Coyote

Saw my first coyote in the wild.  Never, to my knowledge, laid eyes on one anywhere else, actually.

It was during my morning commute, on the on-ramp to the DC beltway from Connecticut Avenue.  Practically in the shadow of the Mormon Temple.

It was in the open area between the road and the brush and seemed to be eating grass or something. Maybe a dead critter that I couldn't see.  Lots of groundhogs and deer in that vicinity as it is connected to Rock Creek Park.  That park ambles about a goodsome distance for miles and miles.  Bears have been sighted in that park IN DC.   (The Park proper is on the District of Columbia, though the creek outside the city limits is parkified and patrolled by the Park Police.  It ambles north through Maryland quite a ways, up through Rockville and touching Gaithersburg.)

When I first laid eyes on it I thought it was a HUGE brown fox with no bushy tail.  Then the brain clicked a bit.  Coyote.

5 comments:

Marty said...

The Mormon Temple is actually a fortress in prep for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Try to visit there. I Dare you.

Old NFO said...

Yep, they are around this area... More than one would think!

JD Rush said...

I see them all the time hunting deer. But never when hunting coyote. Go figure.

Laura said...

well, i knew we had'em in Baltimore County (and i'm convinced we've got one in my little corner of the city due to all the parks in the immediate vicinity), but i didn't realize they'd gotten that far south.

Stretch said...

Lots here in Northern Virginia. W&OD Trail regular commuter route for the furry critters.
Some VA counties have bounties on them.