Monday, July 16, 2012

Gunsmith a 10/22 trigger

Every time I do a new gunsmithing project there is that point in the assembly/disassembly process where I panic.  I'm NEVER going to get all these parts back together in the right order with the springs in the right place to have a functioning firearm EVER again.  Not without four extra hands.

Does that happen to you?

Anyway, lots of people recommended the inexpensive Volquartsen trigger kit to improve the performance of my Ruger 10/22 rifle. 

You want this, page 39, to have any hope of following the instructions that comes with the kit.

Here's something....  My rifle didn't come with hammer bushings and washers(shims) from the factory.  They were built into the factory hammer.  So I didn't use the washers in the kit. 

So, what do you get with the kit?  Some new springs.  Instructions that recommend smoothing the ball end of the factory hammer strut.  And most importantly, a new hammer.  What's the point of that?  Well the bottom radius of the hammer is the the sear.  This is the vital bit, as if that is smooth and shaped right your tirgger will feel crisp.

 So, now that I've done this once I could do it again much faster.  Which is also a typical experience for me and gunsmithing.   So-called gunsmithing.  It's more gunspartsing.

Anyway, function test has be excited to try the new lighter crisper trigger at the range...

1 comment:

Stretch said...

I've been toying with the idea of going full "brownell" on my 10/22. Thanks for the encouraging article.