Thursday, June 14, 2018

Brownells is back

I might want to feature them more.

I remember being absolutely intimidated by the upper on an AR.  Must be some fancy precise fitment to get the barrel off.  Then I saw it done in front of me and... That's it?



That's so easy!

It's just a matter of seeing it once.

"Yeah, I did all that T-Bolt, changing our a 24 inch heavy barrel for something a bit shorter and now my gun won't cycle!  Not so easy."

You know, I haven't a lot of experience building lots of ARs, but I seem to remember there being a relation between barrel length and hence buffer tube length, buffer spring strength, and that little hole in the gasblock/barrel.  I'd do a lotta googling to find that out if I were in your shoes.

Oh, some solutions...  Save 'enlarging the hole' for last if something else is available first.  And those pigtail gas tubes that try to give you a longer tube for a short length...  the gunsmith reports less luck with those.  Springs an buffer tubes first.  Oh, and be sure the hole isn't blocked by a misaligned tube.  Super important.

Just stuff to think about. If I was a subject matter expert I'd tell you what fer. But I am not, and can tell you just some places to look. Maybe get you started.

No comments: