Sunday, October 13, 2019

Peleliu

So in seeking out my grandfather I ran across this book.  Twenty Two at Peleliu

George Peto is the WWII verteran.   Margaritas helped him get his recollections into book form at this late stage of life

In it an old guy, Goerge, with a great memory, records his time before the war and in the Marines in WWII.  He served on Peleliu under Puller, left flank, while my grandfather was on the right with Hannekin.  Of all the description of what that island's battle was like Peto's was the best I've read.

Peto was a bit of hell raiser and reminds me of the trouble Archie, my crotchety old neighbor of blessed memory, used to tell me.  Time in the brig, troublemaking, a string of girls.  Kindred spirits, they.

He seemed to thrive in the Corps when not in trouble, though, and was a forward observer for the mortars when it was possible, a rifleman when circumstance didn't permit, like when the jungle was too dense or the mortars couldn't deploy, or the comms were down.  Call sign was X-Ray.

Thanks George, for the insight to what my grandad was up to. 


2 comments:

Comfortably Numb said...

Thank you for the post on this book. Just finished it, excellent read. It is amazing what that generation of "kids" did for us.

Chris Morton said...

Read "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge.