Sunday, October 6, 2019

YouTube

The algorithm used to be good.

"Hey what was that 80s song?  Every time you go away... you take a piece of me with you..."  Type that in in the old days and you got the music video by Paul Young.  The search also give you covers.  In the old days it gave you more.  Like movies that song had been in, or similar tunes from that era that people liked and click on before or after clicking on Paul Young's.  Similar songs a decade before or after.  Now the recommended next video is a song you liked 3 weeks ago or whatever is next on your subscriber list.  Walling you in in the already walled garden, instead of expanding horizons.  Booo.

I guess they figure they get more eyeballs longer this way than the way I want them to go back to.

Here is a trick I must try.  Log off.  You tube won't know me, the user, won't know my subscriptions, and maybe that will reset the algorithm.  Logarithm.  Biorhythm.

No comments: