Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Boy Scouts

My brother is now thinking of taking his son shooting. With me, of course. He’s a teenager. Boy Scout age. So I was thinking using the Boy Scout merit badge requirements and procedures as a starting point.

We’d probably start him out with .22 rifles.

They used to have merit badge books for each merit badge. You’d use that as a guide book under tutelege from some counselor, and that counselor would sign off when you met the requirements to earn the badge.

Sadly, it looks like the merit badge books haven’t been fully digitized yet. The requirements have been.

Most of it seems to be a Hunter’s Safety Class, but a Lite version. With a shooting requirement for score. You can go muzzle loading, air gun, or modern cartridge. And the shooting score for .22 isn’t easy. “Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter.”

A quarter!

Now do all 15 have to go into a group you can cover with a quarter? I don’t know if I can do that. Now a 3-shot group, even from a bench rest, in an inch hole is by no means simple.

Here’s an interesting requirement:

“h. Explain to your counselor the proper hygienic guidelines used in shooting.”

Uh… refrain from keeping your trigger finger warm between rounds of fire by sticking it up your butt?

Ok, ok, it’s probably has to do with washing your hands of powder residue after shooting. But still… do keep your finger out of your butt.

This requirement can get you a PhD if you took it to the bitter end of detail:

“f. Obtain a copy of the hunting laws for your state. Explain the main points of hunting laws in your state and give any special laws on the use of guns or ammunition.”

Oooo… I don’t remember a shotgun merit badge!


You have to hit 12 of 25 clays on 2 occasions. Probably better than I can do, now.

3 comments:

jqfrederick said...

Granted, I'm a former Marine (is that cheating?), but a friend and I, while he was showing off his new RWS .17 air rifle, managed to put bench rest 3 shot groups together that were covered with a dime. It's just good instruction and sight picture. I would think it would be within the capabilities of most, if not all, Scouts.

Bunnyman said...

Shooting 12/25 in trap is surprisingly easy. I did it the first day I shot trap (though on the third round). 12-ga/full choke might have helped.

I just tried to shoot quarter-sized groups at 50 feet with my air rifle, though, and that is mighty tricky. Probably my fault; the gun's crazy accurate.

GunGeek said...

That's five groups of three shots each, where each of the groups can be covered by a quarter. Not where one quarter can cover all five groups.

Not only that, it's iron sights only, IIRC.

Back in my scouting days, there was a single "Rifle and Shotgun" merit badge. Shortly after, they split it up into "Rifle" and "Shotgun" merit badges.