Wednesday, May 27, 2009

KRISS website



KRISS carbines finally have an online presence.


Good for them!


What I learned was the base model is only about $1700 MSRP. A lot less than I thought. The picture above is NOT the base model. The base model wouldn't come with the EOTech sight or sling.


While I have not fondled one, or seen one, even, at a gun show, these appeal to me. They cover my carbine desire, AND they shoot a manly .45 caliber, of which I have a few in stock.


Maybe I'll like it less when I've more closely inspected one, but I could get used to owning one of these and not have to hunt for the perfect carbine any longer. As long as there are no problems with it. The only shortcoming is the magazine commonality is with Glock, only, I think, and I'd rather not get a Glock of any flavor at this point. And that's not that big a shortcoming.



This would be the ideal gun to jump through hoops for to get a suppressor. Make it a modern day DeLisle...



The DeLisle is a Lee Enfield modified to shoot .45, and is very quiet. And that KRISS certainly has the ugly-coolness factor going for in the looks department

6 comments:

Tam said...

That's a long way to go for what is essentially a .45 pistol with a shoulder stock.

Think of it as an "anti-bullpup": The shortest barrel length possible relative to bulk and OAL... Oh, and there's half a foot of offset between the bore axis and the sight plane.

This thing makes less sense than a screen door on a submarine.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yes, but it LOOKS cool!

JB Miller said...

The bore axis is in line with the center of your arm as you hold it. This combined with the cycle action keeps it on target when full auto.

I have held one at a show but not fired one. The ergonomics are excellent.

I will buy one some day. I will reserve judgment until then.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

The bore axis is lined up with your arm, yes, but the sight axis is HUGE. Worse than the AR by maybe 2x.

Tam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tam said...

"The bore axis is in line with the center of your arm as you hold it. This combined with the cycle action keeps it on target when full auto."

So? I can't get a full auto one, anyway thanks to the Hughes Amendment. And at the end of the day it's still just a pistol-caliber carbine, which is rapidly going the way of the dodo. (Or I could SBR it and have what is, in effect a Glock 21 with a non-detachable shoulder stock.)

Plus, you've still got half a foot of offset between the sights and the bore axis, which isn't a big deal at 100 yards, but is a Very Big Deal at the across-the-room ranges a machine pistol in .45 ACP is suited for.

Like the Mateba, it's technically interesting, but ultimately useless. There's nothing it can do that can't be done better by an extant weapons system.

As Jeff Cooper was so fond of saying: "What is it for? Why, to sell, of course."