Thursday, May 7, 2009

Customize

So I told you about a work buddy that got an XD a coupla months ago.

He has been bitten by the customization bug, and hard.

I didn't encourage it. One of the thing I'd like about an XD acquisition (for me) is that it works well right out of the box, and its not too expensive. All you have to buy for it is gun cleaner and bullets. And many don't mess around with too much gun cleaner.

And he shoots it just fine.

But he bought after market rubber grips to change the way it feels in his hand.

He bought sight paint to change the color of the 3-dot sights, and I'll bet he send away for tritium sights or heine sights within a year.

He is going to polish the barrel. "Why? Has it ever jammed on you?" "No, but..."

And he got a tungsten guide rod to weigh it down. On purpose.

He is thinking a flash light for the underrail, soon, too.

I know the feeling. I 'customized' my Springfield 1911 a bit. A few different grip types (an indulgence), mainspring housing shape and lock, recoil spring plug. That's it. I was trying to make it more like JWB (pbuh) intended in function. It's not so much a tweak.

I still don't know why the work buddy would mess with an XD, but, more power to him, if it makes him feel better. I did warn him against going at it with a dremel, even for polishing. That little rotary tool has ruined more guns in the last 20 years... If he ruins it, he'll have a lesson learned and a need for a replacement barrel. Such is life.

2 comments:

Mike W. said...

Ha, I know the feeling. Just look at my sigs. Custom refinishing is evil!

I have solid stainless steel guide rods for each of my Sigs. (my understanding is that tungsten rods are brittle and should not be used for a carry gun)

Then of course I've also bought aftermarket grips, just like your friend. I took them off and am back to stock grips.

I've got TLR1's for each of my railed Sigs. I think the light is actually a really good idea if he plans to use the XD for home defense.

Frozen said...

I can't say I knock him. I sent my XD-45 in to the SA custom shop for some work. Originally I just wanted trij night sights, but considering their prices, I just went ahead and did the package with a trigger job and night sights...1 week later and for less than you'd pay a local smith just for the sights, it was back home again.

Folks who go XD, the sights are a real nightmare to switch...just have SA do it...you'll be glad you did.