Thursday, May 14, 2009

Padre

I’ve mentioned before that my father is a bit of a hoplophobe. He's just not yet comfortable with the subject.

He seems to think I got a CCW permit from Utah ‘just to have it’.

He doesn’t realize that I now carry wherever I am able. And I would carry to his house the second it is kosher to do so in the Free State, the great state of Maryland.

He is flabbergasted by why I’d NEED to carry a defensive firearm. I brought up the fact that he doesn’t NEED smoke detectors and will probably never need them, but he still checks the batteries twice a year.

I know that's an old trope among readers, but it's still effective. He might not remember the time I got mugged, and how that might not have turned out the way it did. I might have been beaten to death, when my only option against 3 attackers was to charge through them, back to the house I came from, and reinforcements. With the training I have now, and the mindset, I wouldn't have gotten into the situation in the first place. Even if I was armed with a rifle.

I need to take him shooting. I bet he shoots better than me.

No comments: