Sunday, December 4, 2011

I know the feeling

 The soul of 100 year old manufactured goods.   Nice.

It applies, for me, to light-alloy revolvers too.  Plastic gun can certainly be the bees knees in function, but there is that certain somthing that is missing.

I apply this to other areas of my life.  I LIKE the Singer sewing machine that is treadle powered.  I LIKE the Disston handsaw made 130 years ago and works better than a modern handsaw (double tapered blade, you know).  I LIKE the 1942 typerwriter built like a Sherman tank.

Sure, buying shirts at Target is easier and cheaper, Cutting plywood to width with the Ryobi circular saw is faster and hurts my muscles less, and the computer I am typing on gets to publishing lickety split and the keys 'punch' fast and easy, but there is something about those things that lasts in my marrow.  I don't know why it appeals.  Am I a nostalgic, is that what causes it?  Why am I looking backward?  Why did I choose History when college Engineering Calculus kicked my ass?  I like the way things work, and the stories from the past, I guess.

Of course the same applies to guns.  The Colt Pocket Hammerless is heavier and bigger than an LCP.  Costs USED twice as much, and if they made it new it would cost 4-5 times as much with all that nice machining, I'm betting.  But if they made it to the same standard I'd give up getting a free LCP for a 2011 Colt Pocket Hammerless.  Wouldn't even have to think about it.   $2400, and it's not even custom.

Hey if I'd pay that for a beYOOtiful retro .380 why haven't I bought a custom 1911?  Hmmm, better save my pennies, maybe?  Or am I blowing smoke on the $2400 .380 and would just be happy living in a world where such a thing is still made?  I admit, knowing there is a guy in Japan that makes samurai swords the way his forefathers made 700 years ago, appeals.  And I'm not shopping for swords.

4 comments:

Paladin said...

I get you.

There's a beauty and substantialness to old stuff that speaks to me. I'm not a technophobe (obviously), but do love me some old school. The house is full of stuff like that. My favorite telephone is a wall mounted monster in the kitchen that was already 30 years old when I was born. Ringer is so loud you can hear it outside in the yard with all the doors and windows closed.

Of my growing variety of handguns I love my old wheelguns (single action thunderer, Security Six, Schofield replica, etc) best of all. I enjoy the Beretta, Bersas and FN too... but there's something "real" about the others that I don't get with their modern descendents.

Old NFO said...

NJT, did you shoot Kead's Mustang and LCP yesterday? If you did, you just confirmed your own post... And I'm glad you enjoyed shooting my 1911 again :-)

Guffaw in AZ said...

Totally agree! I've owned plastic guns, modern machines.
But they have no soul. Not like blued steel and walnut.
I DO currently carry a S&W 442, but it IS a revolver.

Guffaw in AZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.