Saturday, December 10, 2011

What are you, a girl?!

I thought I was onto some blogfodder.  A workgroup I associate with at my office has a dozen people.  3 of them are women.  I found out one has a Beretta 92, the other has a Mossberg 930, and was checking with the 3rd.  If she had possessed a firearm (she would have no qualms over her personal ownership, likes the Sig P238, but her roommate is anti-gun, so...) that would make 100% of the females, but less than 50% of the males.  Then the initial reaction is the rib the males over, "Sheesh, the WOMEN have guns but YOU can't, fellas?  Whaswrongwitchu?"

But that is ALL wrong, and I am ashamed to admit this first impulse.  Owning or desiring to possess, or carrying, or knowing how to use a firearm is a not exclusivity manly trait.  It's not a demonstration of masculinity. 

That sort of thinking leads to the weiner jokes that gun-banner love to deploy.  It's simpleton thinking.  And I need to alter my thought process.

Firearms are an equalizer tool that facilitate effective individual defense for most anyone.  Self Defense is a human right, not relegated to a specific gender.  When I am advocating for shooter's rights I should never hinge it on any masculinity argument.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's a question of maturity. Are you adult enough to provide for your own defense?

YeOldFurt

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, one can question the Masculinity of certain shooters who cringe when they have to fire a Bersa .380..... ; )

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

That Bersa HURTS