Sunday, February 5, 2017

Random Thots on the Sig P320


So, the Sig P320 must be on the OK list in Maryland because my local gun store has them for sale.

The 320 is the gun that won the Army slection process and is set to replace the Beretta. In case you have been living under a rock and don't know: It's a modular gun. The serial number part is the removable trigger group. This pops out of the frame. So you can swap frames easily. Or slides and barrel combinations. It's neat.

One of the things they use to sell the gun is an in-store display with the 3 different grip sizes for you to handle, small medium and large. I have to say, even the large isn't that large compared to the fat baseball bat that other Sig models seem to feel like in the grip. And the small feels downright concealable. Good idea, Sig, these displays. If you buy a gun and want a different grip you can order a new size sent in the mail for $40. I'm thinking there is potential for further customization in aftermarket shops. There could be as many P320 grips as there are 1911 grip panels.

I was prejudiced a bit against Sig before this. If I was rooting for anything it was for Smith and Wesson, but for no real rational reason. Mere nostalgia. But this will be fine. Part of that attitude is the apparent quality of the gun. The other is me shedding firearm prejudices as I learn more about shooting.

I am wondering how crazy the swappable barrels will be. How many different calibers will be possible. The standards, yes. But then what? My gun-geek mind boggles. .32 ACP just for poops and grins? Why not. 10mm for those people? Is that even possible? .38 Super? Ok...

I could get one.  Lemme get better with my new 9mm before thinking about another pistol, with yet another OS, acquisition. 

4 comments:

B said...

I have a 250...which is like a 320 only DAO hammer fired.

The caliber conversions were as costly as a new gun, or very nearly so....

Check pricing before making that decision.

Just sayin'




Old NFO said...

Meh, I'll give it a year or so, then I might look at it...

B said...

THe military version is supposed to have a thumb safety. That is something I want on my firearms that aren't DAO....

I'm gonna wait for that version of the 320.

Comrade Misfit said...

I agree with B, but I want defensive handguns that are DAO or DA/SA. I prefer the concept of "grip and rip," where I'm not manipulating any control but the trigger to get the first shot out of the tube. Essentially, I want the shooting part to be like shooting a revolver.

Yes, I like my 1911s and my BHP, but those have been relegated to range-toy duty.