Saturday, February 9, 2008

Miss Moneypenny

So I have ANOTHER friend at work. (I know, I know, I’m surprised I have more than one, too. Heck, I was surprised when I got ONE.) Even bigger shocker? This friend is of the female girl-type persuasion. AND drop dead gorgeous. As Sean Connery would say, “she ish dead shexay.” I know what you are thinking; a suave bon-vivant bachelor like myself should make a move. We’re not each other’s type. I like a woman that will go to sushi restaurants with me, and she doesn’t like sushi. Plus she isn’t as versed with the works of Heinlein, Rand, Clausewitz, Virgil, and Hayek as I prefer. And she doesn’t like me because I am HIDEOUSLY ugly. So it would never work out. Plus she turned me down, so there’s that. I asked her out to dinner and she said, "I'd LOVE to. But. You see... You make me nauseuous. So..." From now on I’ll try to refer to her as Mish Monaypennay.

Anyway. I come to find out, she went to a shooter’s safety course all on her own initiative. For the second time! If I wasn’t attracted to her before, I certainly am now. Curse these bowel-churning physical features of mine! I’m not an animal, I am a human being!

I got her range report to kvetch about here, for YOU, the educated consumer.

Last time Monaypenney went shooting, she used a borrowed semi-auto pistol. She’s not sure what caliber. This time she wanted to try a revolver and she thinks it was a .38 and it had about a 4 inch barrel. Prolly your standard 1980’s police sidearm type. And she now prefers the revolver. Why? Because it is much easier to ‘field strip’ and clean a revolver. Fair enough, and very practical. She thought the targets were set awful close, but isn’t sure of the exact distances. My guess, for a shooter safety class like the one she took, that the farthest target was 7 yards away. She claims to have hit inside the silhouette each time. I say ‘claim’ because I didn’t see, but I certainly take her at her word. They had her shoot Double Action, which is good training for a beginner. And clearly the course is to reinforce safety rules and just familiarize new users a little bit. It's not a marksmanship course.

Now she is thinking of maybe making a gun purchase in the future. I certainly offered to let her shoot my Smith and Wesson 686 so she can try a heavier frame. She had no problem with the recoil of the .38, but she might like it even better in the larger gun. Or not. The point is to find her preference. And she can try .357 ammunition, just to see. Maybe rent a Ruger 101 for comparison. And I can help her if she wants to swap out a grip, though if she got it into her head she wanted a “softer rubber grip instead of checkered wood” I am sure she’d quickly find appropriate Hogue grips for sale on the internet, and she knows how to use a screwdriver. She isn’t helpless.

So now I have, potentially, THREE shooting buddies for lunchtime range fun during the workday, all in the same office. I am pleased

No comments: